08 November 2008

I finally have to admit it.....

What I am about to say may cost me my marriage, it is the travesty of all travesties, the most unthinkable of unthinkables, and in my family I may as well just go ahead and write myself off.
I'll start with dear AU friends please know that I love the loveliest village on the plains. It's the most beautiful place I have seen on a fall day with that orange and blue sky. I am an Auburn fan and I love the school. I love the football even when they aren't doing well. I stand behind my team even when times are tough and am proud to support them......but what you may not know about me is ..................I love Alabama football too. Okay, for those of you who are still reading this and haven't fainted or decided to write me off (including my husband) I have always loved AL football. As a little girl I grew up rooting for the Tide. I have fond memories of sitting in my paw paw's living room decked out in AL stuff from wall to wall and watching the game on Saturdays or watching with my Dad and I never remember my family saying bad things about Auburn. We just weren't that family that was always dogging the other team...don't get me wrong there is and always will be arivalry but it wasn't that deep down disdain. Now, for those of you dear AU fans and friends I know it's killing you as you shake your head and say how is this possible? You JUST CAN'T like both --you can't LOVE both. Well, you can and I do.......when they play each other what do I do? I cheer them both on and hope they both have a great game with no injuries. As an AU student I loved seeing them win and Toomer's being littered with tp all over.
I have been stifling my true passion for AL football all these years to keep the peace in my house. ANd one thing you may not know about my dear die hard husband is he too was once an AL fan ( when he was young and silly according to him) Either way I will wear my Auburn shirts proudly as an alumni. I will share with my son the passion for both , after all they are both from the state of AL and at this point we are rooting for anyone from the state we have been gone so long. When you are all the way up in WA you start to root for any team from AL!!! I want him to decide on his own who he likes without bad mouthing the other team....but today we were AL fans rooting for a win over LSU. With our red and white shakers we sat and watched and waited and cheered. And there it was......the arms raised for a TD.....everyone went wild and I was so glad to see Saban beat Les Myles. And my little man said......"yeah, Roll Tide mommy.....Auburn won" Dear boy--so sweet :) Yes, they did win today too :)
All of this said at the risk of losing dear friends and possibly my husband.....but I knew today that deep down I still have that love for AL too because of how I felt when they won. I was so excited I couldn't breathe, I jumped up and down and twirled my boy around and nearly came to tears. They may lose next week to FL but I will still be rooting them on just like I do Auburn too each week. Now that I have outed myself I hope some of you still talk to me.

No comments: